Thread: 2017 Clipsal 500 Review

Callsign
    VJ5NX
    Status

2017 Clipsal 500 Review

Greetings loyal minions another Clipsal 500 has come and gone again for another 10 months with below normal crowd numbers due to no Sunday concert this year and lack of cooling facilities for race goers apart from the St Johnnies cool zone in the traction zone as it was fairly warm/hot on Saturday and quite warm on Sunday once again but this was made up for come race 2 on Sunday the age old battle to see who is the most superior race brand out of Holden and Ford once again Holden prevailing in a thrilling finish that came down to the last 15 laps and a 10 second gap between McLaughlin and van Gisbergen of which the Red Bull driver overtook his Shell V-Power opponent

After taking 2016 off due to not getting any Christmas eve work in 2015 of which was normally my Clipsal spending money i was allocated to Fire 15 a.k.a the golf buggy along with another fellow official our primary responsibility was fire cover in the gt/dunlop series cars pit area as well as the stadium super trucks too next to the track officials and Fire 1-2 and 5 Fire 15 was quite busy as we had our share of the action when 2 gt cars were brought up to their area after a crash with fears of a potential fuel leak/fire resulting in fire extinguisher standby

Like the previous years i did manage to allocate some free time to pull the scanner out of my backpack and scan the pre-existing channels in it much to my surprise a lot of the channels were dead as a dodo quite a few racing teams especially in the gt/dunlop categories have either upgraded to digital or are using scrambler tactics

I also noticed a distinct lack of traffic on the Thunder-box channels once would assume the cleaning contractors have gone to DMR as well but some of the frequencies on my scanner from other years were quite active including the outside broadcast channel and some others

Despite the low crowd number and warm/hot autumn weather Clipsal was once again nonetheless a huge success
    register or log in to view Images, links, attachments and signatures.

AURFSCAN
    Australias Premier Radio Communications Monitoring Forum

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robert For the Above Post:

caaf,vk3rx,werdan

Status
    Excellent report. Any suggested frequencies to scan when they come down to Tasmania?

AURFSCAN

Callsign
    VJ5NX
    Status
    A good idea tanger is to scan all the frequency ranges on your scanner as for race control,medicos,towies and so on i am not sure if they will be using a similar system like Clipsal does so best idea is to listen out for them as same with race crews but as mentioned above alot of them are using top notch radio gear so its just luck of the draw if you do come across any voice traffic

AURFSCAN

Status
    Its mainly DMR and NXDN these days for the V8 Supercars. They switched over a couple of years ago
    Gearhouse Broadcast

Register to view - click here to register
    Allready Registered? ... Introduce yourself to view this Link/Image

Likely to be analog
    St Johns Ambulance

Register to view - click here to register
    Allready Registered? ... Introduce yourself to view this Link/Image

Last edited by sydneyscanguru; 21-03-2017 at 03:00 AM. Reason: add

AURFSCAN