Thread: Best old scanner for aircraft listening

Status

Best old scanner for aircraft listening

Hello all, I was just wondering if anyone can help me or advise me and let me know what would be a good S/H or cheap scanner to buy that works well on the VHF aircraft band.
    I was thinking along the lines of The Realistic Pro 2004/5/6 or maybe a Uniden BCD9000xlt I think the model was or something a little more modern again Uniden 780 series or similar. And if someone can tell me the best place to look for one of these models, I know they maybe hard to come by, that would also be helpful.
    register or log in to view Images, links, attachments and signatures.

AURFSCAN
    Australias Premier Radio Communications Monitoring Forum

Callsign
    VK3RX
    Status
    G'day Daryl

In the past I've had the Pro 2004 & 6 and they were fine, although given their age they are prone to the backlight module having to be replaced, and I'm not sure if that is still available. Probably caps in the PSU would need replacing too. Airband comms TX bandwidths have got narrower over the years with better gear, so a younger scanner model than these with tighter filters might be the go.

I use a UBC780XLT to scan CFA air frequencies and it does a good job. The AOR AR3000 is also a particularly good unit.

An outside antenna is a must for decent reception, but you would already know that I use an Icom AR7000 discone for all the scanners here, and while I haven't done any measurements I'm not convinced it is particularly flash on airband. Something dedicated for that frequency range would be better.

AURFSCAN

Status
    3rx, thanks for that info, In fact I had a 780xlt and receive wise it worked really well on the aircraft band, I wish I had kept it however I sold it to purchase the Uniden 396 handheld digital scanner, which although good is not as good on the aircraft band as the 780 I had in my opinion. Yes I do have an outside antenna and it works well for most things. I will have to keep an eye out should any come up for sale at a good price. Re a better antenna for the aircraft band, Diamond make an antenna for that band only, but it is a mobile or so the info on it states, but at a pinch I think looking at it's size and construction you could use as a standalone antenna of the mast or where ever I may even do that down the track- maybe, however one thing at a time my HF Vertical will be going up on the modified mast soon so after that, who knows!.

AURFSCAN

Status
    Realistic PRO2035,Yupiteru MVT7100 h/h does an excellent job on the airbands as for antennas i use an Icom-AH7000 discone connected to a Stridsberg MCA-204M 4 port active multicoupler but i have 8 radios connected performance on airband on all is excellent the Diamond D777 all i can say it was rubbish but i also have commercial airband antennas from Polar-214A Dipole,Rfi GP3 Groundplane both are excellent also if you cannot find any of the old scanners the Uniden BCT15X,UBC126AT,396T,396Xt are all excellent and as good as the old scanners.

Regards Lino.

AURFSCAN

Callsign
    VK7LDC
    Status
    If your scanning is going to be desk bound, consider a RTL-SDR dongle. $5-10 and works very well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AURFSCAN

Callsign
    VK4TAW
    Status
    any analogue scanner will be just fine for aircraft comms

AURFSCAN